respectfulchild is an interdisciplinary artist born, raised, and living as an uninvited guest on Treaty 6 Territory. Their work explores the quiet tensions and chaotic beauty of being a queer Chinese-Malaysian settler on the prairies, ranging from spontaneous improvisation to meticulous composition. Their debut album 在找::searching:: was released in the summer of 2017 on Coax Records and they have toured across Canada and Europe with artists such as Rae Spoon, A Tribe Called Red, and Jeremy Dutcher.
The name respectfulchild is the literal translation of their Mandarin name 敬兒[jìng er]. This name was given to them by their grandmother when they were born, a name and a culture they’ve been estranged from having lived their whole life in the predominantly white world of the Canadian Prairies. respectfulchild is their space to seek meaning in 敬兒 again.
在找::searching:: (debut full-length album, 2017)
The Diamond Eye Assembly by Amalie Atkins (original soundtrack, 2019)
In The Shadow Of The Pines by Anne Koizumi (original soundtrack, 2020)
Unmasked by Megan Zong (original live score, 2021)
Scaring Women At Night by Ace Clamber and Karimah Issa (original soundtrack, 2022)
– Sound Forms, Hong Kong, 2019
– Tallinn Music Week, Estonia, 2019
– Daylight Music, London, UK, 2018
– 2021 SK Arts Awards for the RBC Emerging Artist Award
– 2019 Breaking Borders Award & Bursary from the Derek Bachman Foundation
– 2018 Saskatchewan Music Award for Avant-Garde/Experimental Artist of the Year